Tuesday 19 April 2011

Banana Bread

 
BANANA BREAD
 (revised January 12th, 2012)
 
There is something about fresh Banana Bread coming out of the oven, the aroma fills the whole house.  I wait until I have about 6 medium bananas that are brown and so over ripe they almost fall apart.  They are sweet and make the best banana bread.  I make two nice loaves - one for us and one for a friend or neighbour.  This is one of those things that when the kids come to visit they ask for it!  You can make present them in our Brown Tulip Cups or our Red Tulip Cups to make a nice muffin and a great presentation or to really make a statement check out our Muffin Top Liners - these look so beautiful and you can easily share one with another person!

So the recipe is one that my Mom wrote down many years ago and and I baked it the original way which I will post on the bottom just for reference. ( I don't know where it came from)  Times have changed and I just can't bake Banana Bread with a cup of shortening!  Pie crust - but nothing else- I just gag thinking of it.  The original recipe also used 2 cups of sugar - for two loaves.  I can't do that either!  So I substitute 1 cup of applesauce and add a little more flour for the right consistency.  I also probably use 3/4 cups of sugar since if I am making the Cinnamon strudel topping there is sugar in that and the bananas are really very sweet!  So feel free to use the original or play around with it like I have. 

Today is the first time I have tried adding candied ginger and a little ginger lemon syrup to one of the loaves!  My friend Lesley over at 2GFKitchens suggested this (ginger syrup and candied ginger) and I just had to try it!  I wish I had some of my really good ginger or homemade stuff - but the store bought was worked out ok.  I cut them in to tiny pieces so you don't bite into it and get a huge hit of ginger and I also tossed the cut pieces in flour so they didn't clump together.  I used not quite 1/2 cup of cut up ginger.



Banana Bread (my version)

2 1/2 cups flour ( if using apple sauce I use a little more flour)The batter should be loose but not too  liquidy
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup non salted butter
1  cup sugar (sometimes less)
1 cup apple sauce
2 cups mashed ripe banana about 6 medium bananas ( or 5 smaller ones if using applesauce)
4 eggs, slightly beaten


What to do:

Preheat oven to 350F
Line 2 loaf pans with parchment paper
Stir and toss together the flours, salt and baking soda.   In a large bowl, mix the butter, sugar, mashed banana, eggs and applesauce. Add the ginger here if you are adding it. Or divide into 2 and make one of each kind if you like!
Add the combined dry ingredients and stir just until the batter is thoroughly blended.

(on the left hand side of the picture)
Sometimes I add a Cinnamon Strudel topping to one of the loaves before baking combine
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons of flour
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon (or a little more if you love cinnamon!)
1 Tablespoon cold butter
Mix all together and sprinkle all over the top of the batter before baking.

(On the right hand side of the picture)
For the Ginger Topping
I just cut some candied ginger about 1/2 cup( maybe a little less) into very small piece and tossed in flour to prevent clumping
I happen to have a little ginger and lemon honey syrup so I added 1 Tablespoon for that into the batter.  I don't know if it made a real difference but it did punch up the loaf having ginger in it!


Pour into the prepared pans and bake for about 65 to 70 minutes or until a skewer come out clean.
Remove from oven, and let cool in pan for 5 minutes then turn onto a cooling rack.



Banana Bread (original recipe)

2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups of sugar
2 cups mashed ripe banana about 6 medium bananas
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup chopped walnuts

What to do:

Preheat oven to 350F Grease and flour the loaf pans (makes 2 loaves)
Stir and toss together the flours, salt and baking soda. In a large bowl, mix the shortening, sugar, mashed banana, eggs and walnuts.
Add the combined dry ingredients and stir just until the batter is thoroughly blended.

Pour into the prepared pans and baker for about 65 to 70 minutes or until a skewer come out clean.
Remove from oven, and let cool in pan for 5 minutes then turn onto a cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment