Friday 1 February 2013

What's the difference?

SWEETART SUPPLIES

 

It's kind of funny how after 2 and half years in business that I just realised I have never really blogged about how and why SweetArt Supplies came to be and why I think we and our products are different.
 
This all started when I was recuperating from a bone marrow/stem cell transplant for Leukemia in 2003.  After a few years of "getting better" I needed something to do and I couldn't go back to the gift basket business I had before I was sick.  I have always enjoyed cooking and baking but even more importantly I needed to have control over what was in the food I was eating.  As I started to get better I also became concerned over what I used to cook or bake with.  Anything that could be questionable I try and avoid.  I did not like baking in cupcake liners that look really pretty but when you bake in them all the pattern disappears --- where the heck does all that ink go??  I don't want it into my baked goods - thank you very much!!  You bake your cupcake or muffin and it all gets stuck on the liner... yuck! Our cupcake liners come from Sweden and are greaseproof - they are compostable, biodegradable and just down right beautiful!
 
 
The other thing I try and do is order from Canada or the USA sometimes England products that are produced there - the quality is better and I had many of my customers who just won't buy items from certain places.  For instance our paper straws are made in the USA, they are very sturdy and are great for cold or hot drinks - many people use them for parties, cake pops or decorative accents on cakes or cupcakes.

 
Another great item we carry are the party/goodie bags from the USA.  They are stronger than what you find at the dollar stores.  So your goodies won't fall through the bag :)  The patterns are unique and you never have the ink come off on your hands and they don't smell funny either!
 
We carry Cupcake Cuddlers or otherwise known as Dressed Up Party Cups because they are not just for cupcakes!  You can put candies, a flicker fake candle, a little cup with ice cream in and of course your cupcake!  We even have bride and groom cuddlers!  These are hand made down in the USA and the company employs physically and mentally challenged adults.
 
My personal philosophy is I do my very best to treat people the way I want to be treated.  If I don't know something I will try and find out for you.  If I don't carry it I will try and bring it in or find out where you can purchase it. I really enjoy getting to know people through the Facebook page
and at one point in time - the numbers of "likes" was so important... and now it's the people who continue to follow my posts, chat, share and sometime I am lucky enough to meet them!  I don't get upset if the numbers go up or down.... it happens.  Facebook has changed the way people see business pages - which is unfortunate, but I can't do anything about that - so I don't worry about it.  I just keep on trucking.  Sometimes people can get nasty or rude on Facebook pages - it's my page I just delete the post - there is no need to get people all riled up over it and spread the unhappiness.
 
The business is growing and I hope to add new items and ideas for you!
 
On  a more personal note:
I've learned something on my journey of life and that is in SPLIT second your life can change so dramatically that all this little stuff really doesn't matter.  You can lose your friends, family and people that you thought would never hurt you - do. 
I've learned to stand up for myself and accept my short comings - none of us are perfect or better than anyone else.  I live my life for me and my own personal family.
People can hurt you and disappoint you - it's your choice how you choose to deal with it. 
If you don't have your health - the rest is hard to enjoy. Living with pain sometimes just sucks...  so pick up the phone and make someone happy to hear from you --- don't complain to them.
Laugh I mean LAUGH - really it's good for you!
 
I have good days and really good days.... I prefer the latter. How about you?
 
Gwen
 



1 comment:

  1. Loved this Gwen and I love your cupcake liners, before I met you I thought all liners were the same (mostly a pain to use) I now rock the cupcake world (at least in my families eyes)

    ReplyDelete