Two things I like - cinnamon and lemon! On facebook the other day Life Tastes Good
posted this wonderful recipe for a Lemon Loaf. I have made it twice in three days and I am making it as a birthday cake for my friend on the weekend. I also think it would make a wonderful Orange Loaf too, by substituting orange for lemon. I will be making that soon too!
Mr. SweetArt devoured the first loaf that I could barely get a picture taken!!
So this time I made it late in the evening so it could cool and he wouldn't get in to it. (sneaky)
I made changed a couple things from the original recipe and here is my version for it - I used my whisk on my kitchen aid as I don't have a food processor.
This is light and fluffy - a wonderful flavour of lemon!
- 3 eggs (large)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened (unsalted, as always)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons of lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup powdered sugar (for the glaze)
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 Tablespoon of lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9"x5" loaf pan with parchment paper. Allowing extra so the parchment hangs over the sides for easy removal. No need to spray the parchment. Be sure to have oven preheated and pan ready to go before the batter is ready. You want to get the batter in the pan and into the oven as soon as it is mixed.
- In a mixer or food processor combine 3 large eggs, 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons softened butter, 2 tablespoons of lemon zest and 1/3 cup lemon juice and blend until well mixed.
- Add 1 -1/2 cups flour to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and mix until just combined. Add 1/3 cup vegetable oil and mix until combined.
- Immediately pour batter into prepared loaf pan and place in preheated oven.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes until toothpick or cake tester inserted 1/2 way from the edge comes out clean. The top will bounce back when lightly pressed and won't jiggle.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan and then remove from pan. Leave on parchment and prepare the glaze by mixing 1 cup powdered sugar with 2 tablespoons whole milk and 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of zest. Add more sugar if you prefer a thicker icing. Glaze the cake, slice and enjoy
Thanks again Marion for the recipe and inspiration of this wonderful lemon loaf!! Head on over to her page and check our her website too!