Tuesday 17 September 2013

Basic White Bread

 
Basic White Bread
 
 
 
First off I am not going to go into the good, bad or ugly of "White Bread"  For me-- once in awhile I love to enjoy fresh white bread - plain and simple.  It brings back wonderful memories of my childhood - and it just tastes wonderful!
 
There is something special that happens in a home when bread is baking - the aroma fills the air and engulfs everyone that enters the home.  Taste buds light up, smiles appear out of no where and it puts you in a good mood.  Add some fresh jam and a cup of tea and you have a friend for life - or at least until the loaf is gone!
 
Don't be afraid to try making bread - it's really quite easy and once you catch on to how it should look and feel as it is rising you can start experimenting!
 
I personally use saf-instant yeast ( I usually have some on the website - just call and check if you don't see it there as I sometimes squirrel a couple away for myself)
 
Ok so here it is and how I do it- I use my Kitchen Aid Bowl
 
BASIC WHITE BREAD
 
In the bowl of your kitchen aid add
1 teaspoon of sugar
1/2 cup warm water
2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast
(I still like to "proof" my yeast - most of the time but you don't have to, it's just my preference)
 
I let this sit for a few minutes then stir the yeast and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
 
Add 2 cups of flour to this mixture and start to stir on low
Then add:
1 cup of warm milk
2 Tablespoons of butter
2 Tablespoons of Sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup warm water
(I take a large measuring cup and warm it all up together)
 
Now start adding the flour  - this is the part where you don't really follow how much
3 more cups of flour at 1/2 to 1 cup at a time.
You want the bowl to be scrapped clean by the kneading action of the dough hook.  I start with 1 cup and then slowly add more and knead it in.  You want your dough to be slightly tacky -- sticks slightly to your hand when you handle it.  That's when you know you have enough flour in it.  If you add too much flour your bread will be fry tough.
 
Place your soft dough in a large oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap and a light tea towel until it doubles about 2 hours.
 
Once it has doubled it will look silky and beautiful - gently place it on the counter and divide it in half and gently lay it out on a slightly oiled counter (SLIGHTLY) just enough so it doesn't stick.
 
shape into two loaves and place in parchment lined loaf pans.  Cover again with plastic wrap and the towel and let rise for another hour. 
Bake at 400 degrees for about 25 to 30 minutes depending on your oven.  It should sound hollow when tapped. 
 
For best results do not cut the loaf until cooled (GOOD LUCK WITH THAT! )
 
Enjoy!!
 
Gwen
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment