Sunday 1 January 2012

2011 - 2012 A year in review

It's been a year and it went by so fast!  I remember my Mom (who turns 90 in February!) telling me that as she got older the years start going by faster, - I know what she means know!  The business is growing and I have learnt a lot of things - especially about advertising and where to put my money.  There were a few flops and a some good investments.  The Canadian Baking and Sweets Show in Toronto was a good one and a special thanks to Kimber Cakeware and Dressed Up Party Cups for going in with me on that venture.  I invested in a logo - a very special thanks to my daughter Janine who drew it and to Jessica of VI Stamp for putting it together for me!  We brought lots of new items in and have almost out grown our space, met lots of great customers, some awesome women in business here in Victoria.  Nichole, Tina, Carrol, Kristina, Lesley, Jenny and of course Deb from the Westshore Women's Business Network and lots more awesome women in that group! 

On a personal note my husband and I bit the bullet and learn to ride a motorcycle - the timing wasn't great since winter is upon us but hopefully I will get my own bike and start riding!  I was scared to death - and I mean scared - I even wiped out pretty good but got back on with a cracked rib and completed the course and test.  Very proud of myself. ( now if I could only over come my fear of doctor's and dentists!)  My beautiful daughter got engaged to the most wonderful man she has ever met... sometimes you see two people together and just know they are right for each other.  They compliment each others personalities, are best friends and most importantly love and respect each other.  


As I pack up the Christmas items I reflect on the people that are connect to the ornaments - some beautiful old ones from my Mom and Dad and some that my Mom made or bought from our time in Tokyo, Japan. I found a little bear that my son made in play school almost 20 years ago.  A little black dog in memory of Tuffy who we lost Dec 23rd 4 years ago - which was the day that our little Libby was born so it was meant to be. I have  quite a collection of hand painted ones from my friend too.  I think of them as I gently tuck them away for another year until hopefully next year I will be able to open them again and enjoy the moments remembering those I hold dear to me.  I miss having my Dad here especially during Christmas - he so enjoyed the season, I can still him singing and playing Christmas songs on the organ.  My hope for this year is continued good health and lots of sweet fun!  The past is gone, the future is not here yet - so all we have is this moment, enjoy it!

Gwen

No comments:

Post a Comment