Friday 1 June 2012

Stuffed Zucchini

I have to thank Lark's Country Heart for inspiring me with this recipe!  She posted it on FB and I couldn't stop thinking about it -- the big question was --- would my man enjoy it as a meal?  It is a vegetable and a zucchini at that with no real potato or pasta served with it.  Could I pull it off??

First thing I did was wash two zucchini , cut them length wise and scoop out the seeds.  This recipe makes enough sauce for probably 2 more small zucchini.
Drizzle - well actually I drizzled and then rubbed the oil all over them added a little fresh ground pepper and a little salt then placed them on a cookie sheet in a 350 oven for 15 minutes.
While that is baking start the meat sauce. 
1lb of hamburger (Lark's also points out you can use ground turkey) drain off all the fat!
1 (8oz) can of  tomato sauce - add your own seasonings or by one preseasoned.
1/2 tsp. Cumin
1/2 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
dash of fresh ground pepper and a sprinkle of sea salt
1/4 cup finely chopped red or sweet onion
1 celery stalk finely chopped
4-6 button mushrooms finely chopped
If you want to saute the onion, celery and mushrooms first that is ok too.
1/2 cup Panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
Provolone Cheese
I just added my veggies right to the almost cooked hamburger...


Take the cooked zucchini out of the oven and fill them with your meat sauce
 
 Sprinkle with the Panko crumbs and add the Provolone Cheese and put them back in the oven under broil for just a moment - enough to brown and melt the cheese.
Let cool a couple of minutes if you can.. it is very hot and the zucchini will burn your mouth! (I didn't do this but someone couldn't wait to try it) 
Enjoy!!
Gwen
P.S. if you are on FB check us out at https://www.facebook.com/SweetArt.Supplies?ref=tn_tnmn
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment