Thursday 11 July 2013

Flour and stuff... measuring makes a difference especially with Biscuits

 
BISCUITS
 
Measuring flour who would have thought... there could be that big of a difference in a recipe!
Even after cooking and baking for over.. yes over many years - ok 40 years plus I've learned something new!

So I saw this little video about making biscuits - something I have done for years and the lady said to measure out the 4 cups of flour and of course use a knife to get exactly one cup. Now I know some professionals use weight and not cups for an accurate measurement - but sometimes I am just whipping them up and can't be bothered!
After measuring the 4 cups into a bowl they say to lightly fluff it with a fork - not sifting it or over beating it - just a light fluff.   I was shocked to see I had almost 3/4 of a cup extra!  In fact I was so shocked I re-measured it.
So I gently put together the ingredients for my biscuits - not over mixing anything.... gentle mixing
that's the key to light and fluffy biscuits and of course cold butter.  I know some recipes use shortening - but I just don't use that stuff...


This recipe used a very hot oven - 500F for 10 minutes!

and they came out light and fluffy!


Biscuits
4 cups of AP flour ( measured and then fluffed and re- measure to 4 cups
1/2 cup cold butter cut into small piece.
Blend butter and flower together with a pastry blender until the butter is in small bits.
Add:
6 tsp baking powder (I did the same thing measuring the Baking Powder - fluffed it out)
1 tsp salt
Mix this all together - lightly :)
Add:
3/4 cup of milk
3/4 cup of buttermilk
Gently bring the dough together until it is just mixed together.
Put on a lightly floured surface and gently form so you can lightly roll it out.
Lightly rolling means using almost no pressure - just a little bit to shape it up and so it's about 1/2 inch thick.
Cut into circles and bake at 500 for 10 minutes.
ENJOY!

Hope you see a difference on how light and fluffy these biscuits are!
They got Mr. SweetArt's approval!

Gwen
SweetArt Supplies


No comments:

Post a Comment