Friday 15 November 2013

Maple Bacon Buttermilk Scones


Maple Bacon Buttermilk Scones
(admit it I had you at Bacon)


I saw a video on this - I think it was from Jamie Oliver on youtube.
They looked so good and savory plus... they had bacon in them!  I am hooked on good -- I mean really good bacon!  We have a local store here called the Red Barn that has double smoked bacon and in this recipe -- it is awesome!

When baking or cooking it really does pay to use quality products - good wine, good vanilla, real maple syrup... it just makes a difference.

Maple Bacon Buttermilk Scones

Fry up about 1 cup of bacon - I used 6 slices and then chopped it up - set aside.

3 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
Combine this together in a medium bowl.

1 Cup Butter - Cut in very cold non salted butter and blend well with a pastry blender so you have tiny crumbs.

Make a well in the centre of the flour and add 
3/4 Cup Buttermilk
3/4 Cup Maple Syrup (real syrup)

With a fork combine the wet into the dry - do not over mix it - it should come together but without a lot of work or time.

Stick it in the fridge for about 10 minutes. 

Turn your oven on to 350 degrees ( I do 325 with my convection oven) 

On a floured surface - shape it and roll it till it is about 1/2 inch thick.  

I used my round fluted cutter and was able to get 15 scones out of them -- they are about 3 inch circles.

On a parchment lined cookie sheet place them with little space between them.  

Make an egg wash = 1 egg and 2 Tablespoons of milk (or water)
and brush over the scones.
Sprinkle with course sea salt - not much just a touch!


Bake (350) for 25 minutes.

Take out and place them on a light cotton tea towel on a cookie rack and cover lightly with another tea towel.

Served warm is always best - but you can always rewarm them for that fresh out of the oven taste.


I hope you enjoy this as much as our family does!

Gwen 









No comments:

Post a Comment