Sunday 8 December 2013

Lessons from loosing my Iphone

This happened a few days ago -- December 5th 2013, it is now December 8th.  I can't even begin to explain the moment I realized it was not with me -- if you have misplaced it for a moment you get the idea.

We had our first snowfall of the season, it wasn't too cold out so I decided to go out and shovel just the bottom of our driveway and our neighbours too.  At some point my phone beeped - and I had a message and noticed that my phone was just about dead. (This is the last time that I know for sure my memory was correct about where I last saw it)   I finished up, did the stairs to the front door, loaded some wood by the door, went back downstairs and came inside.    I hung my coat up by the door, took my shoes, gloves and hat off.  I thought (but can't be sure) I took my phone out of pocket, placed it on top of the dryer, turned and took off my pants because they were soaked on the bottom.  I once again thought I grabbed my phone and the dog's leash and went upstairs.  Put the leash away, and went to my room.  Got dry clothes on and decided to through my bedding in the wash. So I stripped the bed, put it in the basket and went downstairs and put it in the washing machine.  Came upstairs - not sure if I did anything else and was in the kitchen when the thought bounced into my mind.... WHERE IS MY CELL PHONE!  OMG was it on the bed and I threw it in the wash!!! Holy mother of.... downstairs in a panic - stopped the machine and took everything out.... not there.... PHEW!!!  ok but WHERE is it???? 
I was sick... besides that it is my phone, it helps me run my business, has all my phone numbers, passwords everything and it was fairly new.  Mr. SweetArt and I looked everywhere outside even at night with flashlights.  We tore the house apart- we are still are!  NADA - nothing ... ZIP  no where that we have looked, anyways.  Today Mr. SweetArt even raked outside in the snow - in case we missed it with the shovel.  nope not there.

I have cleaned a lot, re-organized a lot of places and things looking for it.  I walk through it in my mind from the moment I last saw it over and over again... waking my up at night thinking about it - to no avail.
I finally posted online about a lost phone in case someone picked it up.  If it wasn't dead I could use the "find my phone" APP.  That doesn't work when it is dead....  I reported it lost and locked it out.

I am still sick about it -- its got so much information on it -- some of it is backed up but not everything and the expense of it - I can't afford to get  new phone at this time. 

THEN THE BIG LESSON CAME......AGAIN

Last night a lady that I have helped for over 2 years as a Cancer Connection pal and we became friends phoned me.  She did well - really well and I was grateful that I was there for support.  Having a transplant isn't so cut and dried.  I was fortunate and didn't have any GVHD ( graft vs host disease) she got it shortly after her transplant... like many do.  It continued to get worse until last September when she learned that the leukemia was back.  A new drug they have put her on isn't working and they don't think there is any more they can do.  What's worse is the fevers and pain she is dealing with and the unknown. Not knowing what is going on and not getting any relief from the pain is exhausting.  What does this have to do with my phone??  PERSPECTIVE.... when things happen to me or around me I have learned since my transplant to keep things in perspective.  When I lost my phone ..... I forgot about PERSPECTIVE.  Loosing my phone is financially hard, frustrating, and a huge inconvenience personally and for my business.  Life threatening---- NO. Life altering...NOT REALLY...
PERSPECTIVE - is really such a gift.  For 10 years I have never forgotten it until this happened.
I met a man in the Cancer Lodge - I was feeling sorry for myself - I had 6 weeks to stay there in Vancouver until the possibility could be considered to go home after 4 months from my transplant. There stood a tall good looking man who sat down for a few minutes with me... telling me he had 6 weeks to live!  I felt foolish and learned my lesson.... for a short bit. 

I was very weak and walked to the clinic for my appointment (normally about 5-6 minutes) It took me 45 minutes!  By the time I got to the bottom of the stairs, I was beyond exhausted.  I looked up at (to this day it still seems like there were tons of stairs there) the top of the stairs and didn't know how I was going to climb up them.  The tears pouring down my face, people staring at me - someone offered to help me - but I said no "I'm ok"  what a pile of BS that was.  I slowly - very slowly I started up one step at a time, every step was painful. By the time I got to the top and in the doors - there sat a man who smiled at me, from his wheelchair as a quadriplegic. BIG LESSON REMINDER!!!  That was the last time I needed to be reminded.... until I lost my phone.... I realized once again -- my friend would think that it's not really that big of deal in the big picture life -- frustrating yes.. she would trade positions with me I'm sure. 

I was reminded that just because I am now 10 years after my transplant it doesn't mean it can't come back.  One phone call after blood work can change everything and put PERSPECTIVE back in it's place.  I will try really hard not to have any more lessons about this. I GET IT.... forever I hope.

I am GRATEFUL for just being here in relatively good health, with my wonderful husband, our incredible grown children and their spouses, my group of awesome friends who have been there for me on this journey.  To celebrate this holiday season with them all. 

Here is  breakdown of what I have learned:

1. BACK UP  YOUR PHONE
2. DON'T LET IT RUN OUT OF BATTERY LIFE
3. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE "FIND YOUR PHONE" APP INSTALLED
4. USE A PAPER CALENDAR TOO
5. KEEP SOME KIND OF RECORD OF YOUR IMPORTANT INFORMATION SOMEWHERE
6. IT'S NOT THE END OF YOUR WORLD.... A PAIN .... BUT NOT THE END IF YOU LOSE IT
7. ONE PHONE CALL CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE SOMETIMES FOR THE BETTER AND SOMETIMES NOT... REMEMBER THAT.

From me
- I wish you all good health and a very Merry Christmas (or Happy Holidays if you prefer)

Gwen



No comments:

Post a Comment