Sunday 23 October 2011

Tips from my Mother

I have learned a lot from my Mom over the years and a fair bit has been from being in the kitchen with her.
The kitchen can be a place to experiment, learn, be precise when baking and of course to have a lot of fun.
Here are a few things I've learned - I wish it had funny title like S#%}t My Mother taught me in the kitchen. But my Mother is a real gentle lady and never really had a "cross" word to say. If you are old enough you know what that means.... If you don't go ask a kind nice older person to tell you. Don't google it because it's not the same as a conversation with a person.

If you put hot water in your bowl that you made dough in you will make a glue that sticks to your brush or cloth that is really hard to get rid of. Resist the temptation!

If you think you will remember a few more minutes in the oven without setting the timer - think "oh s#%t" ok my Mom didn't say that word but "oh dear" or maybe even "Darn" but that was much later when I was an adult. Lesson here is it will burn- 1 minute with no timer equals smoke, burn, crispy and over done - sometimes completely forgotten till the smoke is bellowing out of your oven. Just don't do it.

If you don't put it back where it belongs you will never find it. Especially if some of your cupboards look like mine - ok I need to reorganize!

If you think it won't happen - it will! Murphy's Law for the kitchen. Means you will cut yourself if you are not careful, you will knock it over, break it, burn it, spill it, ruin it, spoil it, forget it, step in it, dog will eat it, and children will tattle on you in front of company to insure complete embarrassment!

So smile when you are in the kitchen, play music, laugh, (sometimes at yourself) teach someone, share a good recipe, eat together or as they used say "break bread together" - don't google that either.

Most importantly tell the person who taught you how much you appreciate them. In my case my Mom who is turning 90 in February! Thanks Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment