Tuesday 24 April 2012

Quinoa Salad


This is probably one of the most tastiest recipes I have made with Quinoa  - great for anytime!   I make it and keep it in my fridge and just grab a little bowl for a snack.  My husband even liked it - and I didn't even tell him what it was :)  Don't let Quinoa scare you - it's easy to cook and great to add in to lots of recipes.  I hope you enjoy this recipe :) - the little extra basil pesto I added in at the end just punched it up a bit!

Quinoa (Tabbouleh) Salad

Adapted from a magazine - I just can't remember which one!)
Ingredients
  • 1-3/4 cups ( 425 mL) water
  • 1 cup ( 250 mL) quinoa
  • 1/4 English cucumber
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 1 green pepper
  • 5 green onions
  • 1 large bunch parsley
  • 1/2 cup ( 125 mL) olive oil
  • 1/4 cup ( 50 mL) lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp ( 2 mL) salt
  • 1/4 tsp ( 1 mL) chili powder

1. Pour water into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Rinse quinoa with cold water several times. Drain and stir into boiling water with a pinch of salt. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes, until all water is absorbed and quinoa grains are transparent.

2. Meanwhile, dice cucumber, tomatoes and green pepper. Thinly slice green onions and finely chop parsley. In a bowl, whisk oil with lemon juice, salt and chili powder.

3. Pour hot quinoa into oil mixture and toss well. Cool to room temperature. Toss with chopped vegetables and parsley. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.

 I also just add whatever I have on hand – and then in the bowl that I am eating I have tossed in some basil pesto J

No comments:

Post a Comment